A home circuit breaker is your first line of defense against damage caused by overloads or short circuits. These are 10 of the most common electrical problems you should know about and their solutions. A lightning strike, faulty electrical appliances, or faulty wiring can cause high-voltage interruptions in the flow of electricity, resulting in electrical surges in your home. If you experience frequent electrical surges, try removing all cheaply manufactured devices from the electrical outlet to see if this prevents power surges.
If not, it might be time to call an electrician to inspect and correct the problem. It is recommended that an electrician install more outlets for you. However, if you have to use an extension cord temporarily, be sure to use a sturdy 14-gauge extension cord. Problems such as high electricity bills, flashing lights, etc. can be caused by a variety of issues.
You may experience electric shock when you turn on or off an appliance. Even if the shocks are mild, it's an indication that the appliance has an electrical problem or that there are problems with the wiring. Power surges are common electrical problems and last a fraction of a second. If there are frequent power surges, they can damage the equipment and shorten its lifespan. Do you have an electrical problem that you want to solve? Read our guide to learn about some common electrical problems you might face and the best solutions for each of them.
Five Common Electrical Problems and SolutionsSome wiring problems are just inconveniences.
However, others can pose serious fire or electrocution hazards. If you're buying a home (especially one that's over 50 years old) or if you've never had your wiring inspected, it's a good idea to hire a licensed electrician to thoroughly check your home. Current codes require receptacles to be less than 4 feet from the entrance and, thereafter, every 12 feet. Current codes require GFCIs to be less than 4 feet away from any sink and on all outlets in garages, basements and outdoors. Every time the electrical code is reviewed, the old wiring becomes “exempt”, assuming it has been installed correctly.
Heat in Electrical OutletsIf you notice heat in the electrical outlet, it could be a serious electrical problem that could cause a fire. Without GFCI protection there is a risk of electrical cables overheating, electric shock, burns or an electrical fire. If this doesn't fix the problem call an electrician to check the wiring and find out what's causing the trip.
Faulty WiresIt's time to call an electrician to check for signs of faulty wires, ground faults or other more complex electrical problems.
While a power surge only lasts a fraction of a second frequent power surges can damage any electrical device connected to your home and dramatically reduce its lifespan.